Gasworks Circus Showdown
Gasworks Circus Showdown is Gasworks Arts Park’s professional development program for circus and physical theatre artists and one of the only opportunities of its kind in Victoria. We provide a platform for circus performers to develop innovative acts for presentation, culminating in an on-stage showcase in front of a live audience, with feedback from industry experts. Entries are shortlisted, and finalists perform in one of two Heats (Dates 14-15 Oct), and if selected, go on to perform at the Finale (Date Sat 17 Oct). Awards with a focus on career development will be selected and distributed at the Finale.
What kind of work are we looking for?
Entries are invited from individuals or groups of circus performers of all kinds. Acts or excerpts of acts must be between 10 to 15 minutes in duration. Preference will be given to work that has not had a ticketed season in Melbourne. You must complete all sections of the entry form and be available for the rehearsal and performance dates including the Finale show. Please check the dates in the application form carefully.
What value will you receive for participating?
• opportunities to showcase your artistry and skills
• tangible performance outcomes in a professional venue and supportive environment
• rehearsal space and time with professional technical staff (including a rigger and a lighting designer)
• opportunities to hone your craft, make industry connections, learn new business skills, and receive valuable support to develop your work
• professional photos/videos of your performance and some marketing support
How does the selection process work?
The selection panel will assess your entry based on:
• quality of your/your group’s skills
• quality of the act proposed
• capacity to deliver the act
• development stage of act
• career stage of you/your group and benefit of your participation.
Up to 8 shortlisted acts will be selected to perform (up to 4 acts at each of the two Heats). Up to 4 acts overall will be selected by the judges to go on to perform at the Finale. Based on performances and discussions with the shortlisted acts, the judges will deliberate and Awards will be announced.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE SUNDAY 31 MAY AT MIDNIGHT
Technical support/advice on your application will be available until mid-day, Thursday 28 May. Support from Gasworks staff will be offered again once acts have been shortlisted.
The 2020 Awards will include:
• Director Award (financial support to hire director for future development)
• Showcase Victoria Award (cover fee to attend Showcase 2021)
• Travel Bursary ($500 towards travel for Adelaide Fringe season)
• Venue Support Award ($500 towards venue hire for Adelaide Fringe season)
• Adelaide Fringe Festival Award: free registration for 2021
• Melbourne Fringe Festival Award: free registration for 2021
• NICA Award: 50 hours open training time at NICA
• Gasworks Venue Award: 1 week of free theatre hire
• Gasworks Marketing Award: marketing/social media workshops with Gasworks Arts Park’s Marketing Manager
Full details will be announced soon.
Gasworks Circus Showdown 2020 is generously supported by the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria and the Robert Salzer Foundation.
Date & Times:
Heat 1: 14 Oct at 7.30pm
Heat 2: 15 Oct at 7.30pm
Finale: 17 Oct at 7.30pmTickets:
Gold Card $24
Gold Card $32Accessibility:Wheelchair accessibleWarnings:TBA – pending shortlist announcements
- Upcoming Events:
The application process is free to enter
- Gasworks Circus Showdown 2019
- Gasworks Circus Showdown 2018
- Gasworks Circus Showdown 2017
- Gasworks Circus Showdown 2016